Referring physicians’ form
Sleep Disorders Phone: (425) 289 – 3000
Sleep Disorders Fax: (425) 289 – 3240
OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEA
Overlake Sleep Disorders Center receives many referrals for patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). Here are some quick “pearls” to our referring physicians regarding OSA:
1) 70% prevalence in patients with Type 2 DM, noting that treatment decreases insulin resistance
2) 50% incidence in people with atrial fibrillation with treatment doubling the probability of converting to NSR
3) 50% prevalence in men under 40 & women under 50 with HTN
4) 12% prevalence in pregnant women in 1st trimester and 24% in 3rd trimester
5) 50% incidence in individuals with Mallampati Class III or IV.
Additionally, the Stop-Bang Questionnaire is quite useful in aiding diagnosis of OSA.